"The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Kite-tas-trophe...

Conner has been begging to fly his kite lately so I thought this afternoon would be perfect.  We walked over to a nearby park with our kites and let them fly!  Conner loved it!  He had that kite up in the air the whole time.  Ben also loved it, but he loved chasing the kites more than actually holding the string of the kite (not enough action for him!)


















Here they both are, with their kites in the air...




















I don't even know how long we spent with those kites in the sky... watching our boys giggle with huge smiles on their faces was the highlight of my day!  Unfortunately, as I was turned toward Ben, Conner lost hold of his kite!  I heard him start screaming and as I turned toward him, he took off running for the trees!  Conner was yelling, "I let go, I let go, Help!"  Ben took off running after Conner, but Ben was holding his kite so as Ben entered the tree line, he got his kite caught in some trees.  Meanwhile, Conner's kite had been snagged by not 1, not 2, but 3 separate trees!  We really put on a show for the neighbors!!!  I rescued Ben's kite, but we had to abandon Conner's because it was caught so high up in the trees.  Here are Ben and Conner in front of the first tree that the handle of Conner's kite was stuck in, very near the top!


Here, you can see Conner's kite flying, while attached to another tree!  The boys were full  of ideas on how to get it down.  The first thing Conner came up with (in a panic) was to tie himself to Ben's kite and fly up to get his kite...  I was finally able to talk him out of that one.  Ben was convinced that if we just called Gramps, he could bring his "tree cutter" and just cut down the branches that the kite was snagged on... I told him that we weren't allowed to cut the trees in the park.  They wanted me to go get the ladder, too, but I told them both that wasn't going to work either...   


After the drama of the kites, we needed some playground therapy!  Conner showed off his monkey bar skills and then Ben decided he needed to do that, too!



After we had grown tired of the playground, we started to walk home.  We walked on the trail and, again, said farewell to Conner's kite!  It was very hard for him to part with!!!  I had the best day with my guys!  Perfect way to spend our last day of summer together!  I will miss these summer days so much...


No comments: