"The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Friday, February 12, 2010

Scary Stuff...

Most of you know by now that our Ben had another seizure on Tuesday evening... even though this was the third time I have witnessed one of my children having one, it never gets any easier seeing your child lying there, convulsing, and unable to respond to you in any way.  I never knew that life could be this scary...  We spent the night in the hospital since this was Ben's second seizure in the last 6 months.  The ER doctor said that Ben didn't have a fever when we got there, so he really thought we should stay and have more testing done since it was probably not just a febrile seizure (caused by a sudden spike in temperature.)  My heart dropped when he said that...

Ben's EEG is abnormal so they are telling us that he does have a seizure disorder.  It still scares the shit out of me, but I know that we will manage just like we always do... We will see a neurologist next month who will hopefully be able to give more specific information regarding Ben's seizure disorder since there are so many different kinds of them.  My doctor told me to treat him exactly as I would normally treat him, the only thing he will never be able to do is be an airline pilot!  I guess I can live with that... 

Of course, our concern also spreads to Conner so in the next month we will be talking to doctors to figure out whether he should undergo some of the testing that Ben did or if we just wait and see if Conner has another seizure.  (He has had one in the past.)  For right now, I will be doing lots and lots of research on seizure disorders and epilepsy so I can become the latest expert on the topic so if you find anything interesting, let me know!  Ben will be taking medication for the foreseeable future and that scares me since he's only 2 years old, but it sounds like it is the best option for now.  Hopefully the meds will take care of the seizures and he will still be able to outgrow this condition, as many children do...

You never want your kids to have to deal with heavy stuff like this, but this is our life... we don't always get to follow our own plans!  And you know what -  if we didn't get tossed a few curve balls every now and then, Nick and I might not even have our kids at all... that is scarier than any seizure in the world!  So for now, we are going to concentrate on trying to keep both of our boys healthy and happy!  I have the greatest husband and the most wonderful little boys in the world...  No matter what happens, I will always be grateful beyond words!!!

I think this is fitting to end with...  "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.  I just wish He didn't trust me so much." (Mother Teresa)

Love to you all....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amy,continue to be strong and just love your boys,all three of them. You are all in our prayers everyday. Love Becky

Unknown said...

Ben and Conner are the luckiest kids ever to have such great parents!! They are where they should be! Love you all!
Mom