"The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mother's Intuition

I took Conner to Urgent Care last night because he seemed like he was fading again... turns out he has ear infections in addition to everything else... he's doing okay today and Ben seems to be almost back to normal so maybe we will actually have some healthy kids sometime soon! When I took Conner in last night, the nurse made me feel like I was being way too overprotective taking him to the doctor when he didn't actually have a fever at the time. I explained what had been going on the past few days but I could just tell, she thought I was wasting her time. What people (and obviously that bitchy nurse) might not remember is that when my kids have colds, they have fevers, ear infections, croup, seizures, all kinds of stuff... My mom and husband reminded me last night that I know what is best for my kids and I do know when something is not quite right. I don't care what I look like to a nurse or doctor who doesn't know me or my kids. "Mother's Intuition" is a mighty thing...

When Conner and I were leaving the doctor's office last night I was amazed at my little guy... We got to the check out window so he gave the receptionist his paper and said "ticker pea!" (sticker please!) He thanked the woman for his sticker and proceeded to hit the handicapped button on the wall so that the door opened. He walked out, through the waiting area, and pushed every door button so that the right doors would open for us as we were leaving. I felt proud because he is turning into such a big smart boy... I also felt sad because when it comes to doctors and hospitals, my kids know their way around...

No comments: