"The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Epileptologist?

Did you know that there is such a thing as an epipleptologist? I didn't... until we needed one. Conner's epilepsy is very different from Ben's and it isn't being controlled by his medications very well so we went to the University of Iowa to try to get some answers and a new plan. We got both... but it's hard to describe the visit as good or bad... Conner does not have one of the more severe syndromes that I was afraid of. However, the likelihood that he will simply grow out of this, is pretty low. He might always have these absence seizures... It makes me worry for him in the future. Will there come a time when he wants to get his drivers license and I have to tell him "no" because of his epilepsy? How about when he wants to play football but can't because it's not safe for him? What will I do when he comes home from school upset because kids are making fun of him because of this stupid disease? I hope that I never have to answer any of these questions. I hope that my babies can both lead long and happy lives without worrying about any of this... We have had the deck stacked against us before and somehow we managed to get through. Somehow everything turned out all right. This leaves me asking the question... How many miracles does one get in a single lifetime?

1 comment:

jess said...

as many as they deserve... and you deserve an infinite amount...