"The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Hallway Moments...

I am not someone who likes a lot of attention. I'm the girl who is much more comfortable sitting in a corner with my close friends rather than being in the middle of a crowd. I am quiet and shy and I try not to do anything that will call attention to myself... I have had to adjust a bit since the boys started preschool! Every morning they run into school (we are working on walking) and most of the time they are yelling and/or singing as they go. Everyone stops what they are doing and stares at us to see who's making all the noise... I try to just focus on my little monsters who by this time usually need a little guidance to go down the right hallway and go to their appropriate rooms. There have been mornings where I have had to chase one down, but lately they have been doing pretty good. So by the time I get them both to their rooms and start to head out the door myself, there are always people still standing around waiting to tell me how cute my kids are, how funny it is that two little guys can make so much noise, or how darling it is that their backpacks are almost bigger than they are. I appreciate all of these things that people say because I have discovered that it can be nice when people pay you some attention... even when you think you don't want it!

So when I go to pick up my sweeties, I have usually gotten over whatever embarrasment I have suffered earlier in the day and I am ready to show everyone that I do have some control over my children... of course this never seems to work out very well... I have resigned myself to the fact that I will usually be the parent that one of the teachers wants to talk to after school! The teachers send the kids out to the hallway when each parent arrives. Most parents get there, their children are sent out to them, and they go on their way. I, however, am the parent who arrives just in time to see at least one of my kids running away from their teacher out the door, and then one of their teachers will say to me "hang on just a second, I have something to tell you..." I was never the kid who got in trouble... at least I don't think I was. Trouble leads to attention so I avoided it as much as I could. Again, I have had to adjust! I have actually become quite fond of these "hallway moments" because believe it or not, it's not always something bad! I have had many stories of how Ben has gotten a little too "hands on" with another kid, and I have had even more about how Conner loves to run away and see how far he can get before someone catches him... but then I get a story like I got yesterday... Ben was sitting down for circle time and he noticed that a friend didn't have a chair, so he got up, went and got her the purple chair (the one she likes!) and he brought her that chair and invited her to sit down... Such a little gentleman!

No "hallway moments" today but as my kids came barreling toward me and grabbed onto my legs, screaming "Mommy" and giggling, I looked quickly to see who was paying us attention... and I found myself thinking, "go ahead and look... I have two pretty amazing kids..."

No comments: