"The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Good-bye Terrace St....

The day after we signed the deal for the new house to be built, the sadness hit me hard.  I am truly sad to leave our home.... I was able to push that aside (until now) because we have been so busy picking out colors, spending every free moment we have buying things for the new house, worrying about the fact that our current home will not be bringing a very good return, and the general fact that raising two four year old boys keeps me pretty consumed.  But as time draws nearer to say goodbye to this place, it becomes harder.  Don't get me wrong... I am ecstatic about our new house.  The boys will love it and I can completely see us there, spending time together, and enjoying all the hard work it took to get there.  But, putting that all aside now, all I can think about is how much I will miss everything (well, most everything...) about this house, the place that we have made our home.  I can remember the first time I walked into it... we knew right away that it would be ours.  We loved so many things about it.  It just felt like us... I don't even know how else to explain it.  I don't think there is any other way to explain it.

As with most things these days, my thoughts immediately go to my kids.  We brought them home to this house when they were two months old.  We had to say goodbye to them in this house.  It was the toughest thing that these walls have ever seen with us.  I would go into their room every once in a while, when I was feeling strong or when I just wanted to be as near to my boys as I could.  I think it's part of the reason I have such a strong connection to our home... their room represented so much to me.  I would take a picture off the wall one day and put it back the next.  I would take the crib sheets off the mattresses, just to return them later.  I spent time in there, and I also closed the door and avoided it.  That door would stay closed until I could bear to peek my head in again, knowing that there would be no smiling faces looking back at me.  But my guys did come home.  They came home to us and that room.  And as soon as they were able, they did whatever they could to tear that door down (literally!), so that door would never again be shut... That irony has never been lost on me...

Along with a few sad memories, there are countless wonderful ones.  This has been such a great house to us.  We have enjoyed so many celebrations, parties, and gatherings with friends and family.   I remember when Nick jumped over the balcony from the hallway down to the living room and we were pretty sure he was going to go right through the floor.  I remember when Nick actually did fall through the kitchen ceiling.  I remember when Nick got stuck on the roof because his ladder was too far away and he stomped around for a while trying to get my attention.  Hmmm... I'm noticing a theme here....  This house has been filled with our laughter for almost 8 years!  Our boys will definitely miss this house, the only one that they have ever been able to call home.  They will no longer be sharing a room, but will have their own big boy rooms now... an idea that really excites them, but will undoubtedly be hard when we actually tuck them into their separate rooms that first night.   

I suppose any big change brings with it, not only the awesome excitement, but the harsh reality of some things never being the same.  It is worth it, I know that.  But I felt like I needed to take a moment and pay respect to this extraordinary little house that has been a witness to so many things in our lives.  It is hard to leave.... I think that's a big reason why we had to build a new house instead of buying an existing one.. I just couldn't find one that could hold a candle to Terrace St.  Good-bye old friend....  You will be missed, but never forgotten...

No comments: