"The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Thursday, July 14, 2011

"4"

I don't know when it happened but I feel like I missed something.  I have been here, with my children, almost every minute of everyday and I still cannot believe that they are four years old today.  It seems impossible.  This occasion is further complicated by the fact that we are planning on leaving the only house we have all lived in together as a family.  We are awaiting word of an offer after our first showing the other night.  Change is always hard and today it seems as though it is trapping me in this lawn chair I am sitting in while I watch my children play.  I can remember when I first brought them outside to play in the driveway so they could ride their new trikes around.  They needed my assistance in so many ways. (They still do, they just don't think that they do!)  This morning as Ben rode his scooter too close to the street and I said his name, he looked back at me and said "No big deal, Honey!"  After Conner took a rather hard tumble onto the concrete, he quickly looked at me and said "I okay, Mommy!"  When did they become so capable?

It has been a year of discoveries and firsts at our house.  I say it all the time, but my children truly do amaze me.  Yes, they are hyper most of the time, have a bit of a listening problem, and are learning many new ways to annoy Mom and Dad, but they are amazing!  Watching them puts a smile on my face and a happiness in my heart that does not ever fade.  Whenever some medical professional tells me that something else may be "wrong" with my children, I think to myself  "you have no idea what my kids have already been through and how much we have worked to overcome so many things..."  Doctors, nurses, therapists, etc. talk a lot about what an "average" four year old should be doing or should be saying.  My children are anything but average.  Their accomplishments will continue to amaze me! 

Ben and Con, years from now, when you read this, know that your mom and dad adore you.  We treasure you and consider ourselves truly blessed to be your parents.  Today, you are turning 4. Time just keeps speeding by and I don't know how I will ever be able to keep up.  But I will try my hardest.  It is moments like this when I want you to stay little forever.  

Conner, you are the most inventive four year old that I know.  You know exactly how to use your skills and your adorable face to get what you want.  You continue to be so curious about everything that you see.  I can see the gears in your head turning as you are constantly trying to figure out how something works.  I love that you are still the "sensitive" one and that you continue to need the comfort of Mommy and Daddy often.  Every new challenge that you face, you give everything you have.  I am so very proud of you.

Ben, I love how you live your little life in fast forward.  Barely even stopping for meals and naps.  You have no fear when it comes to trying new things.  All we have to do is open the door and you are happy playing outside morning, noon, and night.  You also have a sensitive side and it comes out when you frequently tell us that you love us.  You are becoming such a great little talker and one of my favorite things to do is just sit and listen to you.  I am so very proud of you.

What a year we have had...   Happy Birthday my loves.

No comments: